People always chuckle a bit when I mention that I am truly screwed without my trusty sage stick. Especially when I was living in NYC, where there are far too many people with far too many dark astral energies stalking them. I could never even fathom living without my sage. I’ve had guests who cringed at the smell of it and went screaming in the night. But that never bothers me, because that is exactly what sage is supposed to do, rid you of negative energy and those who bring it with them.
Using sage can be quite easy once you get the hang of it. There are so many different theories out there, but I feel it’s best to use your intuition when performing any ritual or cleansing ceremony.
White Sage and Cedar and Sweet Grass oh my!! Which do we use? The answer? All of them! There is a purpose for each sage stick, and what I like to call their “master property.” Below is just some of beneficial uses of Sage:
- Moving to a new place? Cedar Sticks are fabulous to clear out any old lingering astral energies from the previous owners/renters. It will also help to keep the space protected and clear of any other energies that may attach themselves to you while out in the big wide world.
- Coming back from a club? Frat party? Dark Bar? White Sage is amazing for that. It’s the master purifier and much thicker than the other herbs. You can buy smudge sticks or loose leaves. If burning loose sage be sure to have a small pot to burn them in. You can stand over the pot and waft the smoke all over your body, OR if you are impatient like moi, grab a smudge stick and waft away. As you clear the astral garbage for the sake of your precious aura, tell the darkness to “Go to the Light”, or “Get the Hell Out.” Whatever works. Use your intuition.
- Depressed? No problem, Sage is perfect to lighten your load. Get a really good thick smoke going, crack a window and let it burn baby. Put out the stick BEFORE you lay on your bed, calmly breathing in the smoke. Ask the goddess to remove the depression from your mind and body. Then say a prayer of thanks to her for getting rid of those crappy thoughts.
- If the smell of White Sage is too powerful you can always use Sweet Grass which is much lighter, and while typically used after white sage to usher in positive energies, it is always a good option for those with sensitivities to smoke.
- Can I clean my crystals? Of course!! You should always clean your crystals, and any other tools you may wish to use while connecting to the divine. Crystals can be placed in the smoke for cleansing. There are other ways to clean and protect Crystals which will be discussed more in a subsequent post. Always clean your crystals as they are conduits and do not discriminate between negative and positive energies.
- There are Smudge Kits available too if you are experienced with sage and would like something a little more advanced. This is Smudge Kit one I have used myself and highly recommend it. Again this is for those who already have experience with Sage, however if you feel so ambitious to purchase a kit, the more power to you. Just be sure to read the directions carefully.
- If you really can’t tolerate the smoke, and there are people who cannot, there are Sage Sprays you can carry in your bag, or keep in your room. They are amazing and they work pretty well at eliminating the negative energies.
If all this sounds a little daunting just remember that a good old fashion white sage smudge stick will usually do the job. A little dance around your room with the smoke, combined with positive intention and a good old “Get the Hell Out” for the darker energies, and you are in business.
Excited to get started? Great! I knew you would be. So how does one get their beautiful little hands on this powerful ally? You can get sage in any new age store, whole foods or Amazon! I have personally used smudge sticks from Amazon and assure you they are good.
Once your Sage arrives, the fun begins…the burning. As with burning anything (candles, cigarettes, pot, photos of exes, etc.) please, please make sure to use caution. Anything left unattended for even a second can result in life threatening consequences. If you are burning loose Sage make sure it’s in a pot as suggested earlier. If you opt for the stick, don’t take any chances, always make sure you have something underneath to catch any ashes, like an abalone shell or even a cookie plate. If you have carpet, those little embers can burn neat little holes in them so be careful.
Light the end of the stick making sure to get a nice thick layer of smoke going. Rotate the stick in a counterclockwise direction starting in the corners of the room pulling the smoke to the center, then wafting out the door or window. Be careful when putting out your Sage. Be sure that you leave no embers burning otherwise you might find yourself in an unfortunate situation like moi…
Keep positive, bask in the glow of your beautiful inner light, banish those demons and always practice safe burning.
** I have no affiliation with any of the products I have linked to. They are the products I myself use and I am sharing them with you as a recommendation. There are many options out there, so if these don’t resonate with you, do your research. You’ll find what you are looking for. Keep Seeking <3